Cotgrave

Cotgrave is the largest of the three villages with a population of 7,537 as of 2010. This is dramatically different to the population of 656 as recorded in 1911. Much of the reason for the dramatic increase in population lies with the sinking of a coal mine nearby during the 1960’s to 80’s. Although the population grew tenfold much of the village around All Saints Church, Main Road and Bingham Road has remained quite recognisable from the photographs (below) taken around a hundred years ago. The war memorial is in the graveyard across Plumtree Road from All Saints Church and there is a plaque in the church itself commemorating the fallen of the Great War.

Memorial Honour

Glorious Dead article 1920

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Above; Residents of Cotgrave on Remembrance Day 2013.

Left; article from July 12th 1920 recording unveiling of commemorative window at All Saints Cotgrave.

 

 

All of the following photos are published with kind permission of Picture the Past for the use of this site only. Copies of these photos, and many others, are available to buy from Picture the Past.

To examine a photograph more closely click on it.