- 1911 Occupation Carriers Labourer then Soldier
- Domicile 10, Gripps Cottages, Cotgrave
- Date of Birth 1894
- Date of Death 27th Sept 1915
- Domicile George and Jane Hind, 10 The Gripps Cottages, Cotgrave
- Regiment 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards
- Division Guards Division
- Brigade 2nd Guards Brigade
- Service Number 16152
- Rank Guardsman
- Medals 1914/1915 Star, British War Medal, Allied Victory Medal
- Date of Death 27th September 1915
- Age at Death 20
- Commemorated Loos Memorial Panels 5 and 7
The name Joseph Hind appears on the Cotgrave War Memorial and on the Memorial Board in All Saints Church Cotgrave.
Joseph was born in Cotgrave in 1894 to George Hind from Breaston, Derbyshire and Jane (nee Cook) from Metheringham, Lincolnshire. George and Jane originally lived in Breaston but moved to live in Chapel Yard, Cotgrave in about 1890. By 1911 they had moved within Cotgrave to 10 Gripps Cottages where George worked variously as a lace maker and an Ordinary Farm Labourer.
In all Joseph had 9 siblings and at the age of 17 lived with his parents and 5 of his siblings at 10 Gripps Cottages. He stood 5 ft 9 inches tall, weighed 133 pounds, had a fresh complexion, brown hair and blue eyes. He worked as a Carriers Labourer while his elder brother Henry was an Estate Worker.
On 16th November 1912 at the age of 18 Joseph was attested in Nottingham into the Grenadier Guards. 5 days later he moved to the Guards Depot at Caterham barracks south of London to undertake his basic training. After training he joined the 3rd Battalion serving in Wellington barracks on Birdcage Walk in the centre of London where he continued to serve for over 2 years. On 27th July 1915, almost one year after WW1 started, the 3rd Battalion moved across the channel to Le Havre as part of the 2nd Guards Brigade of the newly formed Guards Division.
The Guards Division was assigned to XI Corps as part of the Reserves for the autumn offensive of 1915 which became known as the ‘Big Push’. It mainly took place on flat ground dominated by slag heaps and colliery towers held by the German troops and it started before there were sufficient stocks of ammunition and heavy artillery. To counter these disadvantages 140 tons of Chlorine gas was to be used; this being the first use of poison gas by the British Army. The battle started on Sunday 25th September.
Five days before Joseph had set offwith his battalion marching from St Omer and covering about 20 miles each night. On the eve of the battle they were about 8 miles from the front line behind 21st and 24th Divisions which formed the first line of the reserve. That night, with extra rations and his great coat, Joseph moved closer to the front. His unit was constantly held up by traffic, crowded roads and ground sodden by floods during a downpour on 23rd September. The troops were weary after marching a great distance in the last few days and progress was now slow. The battle started at 6.30 am on 25th but by noon that day the forward reserves were still not in place and it wasn’t until 8 pm that evening that the Guards Division reached its start point at Noeux les Mines.
Through the night of 25th and on 26th September the 21st and 24th Division were deployed into battle piecemeal in direct support of units already committed. The Guards Division moved forward to the original front line in order, when possible, to exploit the success on the first day in breaking into the deep enemy positions near Loos and Hulluch. However the reserves had been held too far back to allow the exploitation and the German troops had reorganised and reinforced their defences.
On 27 September at 4.40 pm Joseph’s Battalion advanced to Chalk Pit Wood and the Chalk Pit just to the east of Loos. A further advance to the buildings at Puits 14 bis (a French mine pit head) was halted by machine-gun fire from Bois Hugo. We believe that Joseph was killed in this action. His body was never identified and his death was reported to his family at their home in Cotgrave on 22nd October almost a month after his death.
The battle of Loos drew to a close on 16 October 1915 and resulted in over 60,000 British casualties, almost 8000 of which had been killed in action. Many New Army units, rushed into a battle area for the first time only a matter of days after landing in France, were devastated. A significant proportion of the remaining pre-war regular troops were lost, and more than 2,000 officers were killed or wounded. This irreplaceable asset in experienced men and leaders was a most serious loss to the army.
The Loos Memorial forms the sides and rear of Dud Corner Cemetery, located near the commune of Loos-en-Gohelle, in the Pas-de-Calais département of France. The memorial lists 20,610 names of British and Commonwealth soldiers with no known grave and the cemetery contains the graves of 680 soldiers. All of these men were killed in the area during and after the Battle of Loos which started on 25 September 1915 and ended on 14 Oct0ber.